Policy Committee April 28, 2022 | 8:40 AM
HARRISBURG, April 27 – During a PA House Democratic Policy Committee hearing in Harrisburg, lawmakers explored cash bail in Pennsylvania and what eliminating it here would do to address systemic business and community issues. State Reps. Summer Lee and Peter Schweyer held the hearing at the state Capitol in Harrisburg.
Lawmakers heard from business leaders, cash bail reform advocates, legal system experts, and a representative from New Jersey’s state legislature, where they successfully eliminated cash bail.
Host + Testifiers
- Hosts: Rep. Summer Lee, D-Allegheny, and Rep. Peter Schweyer, D-Lehigh
- Mike Dershowitz, Founder, PA Pretrial Partnership
- Dr. Autumn Redcross, Movement Director, Founder of Court Watch Program, Abolitionist Law Center
- Muhammad Ali Nasir, Core Organizer, Bukit Bail Fund
- Chris Shanley, Board Member, PA Pretrial Services Association
- David Erhard, Steve Rice Law, PA Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Kevin Drennan, Executive Director, Senate of New Jersey
Agenda + Testimony
Media Release + News Coverage
Video + Photos