House Democratic Policy Committee to hold hearing on COVID-19 eviction mitigation legislation Monday in Capitol
State Rep. Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster, announced today that the House Democratic Policy Committee will hold a public hearing on COVID-19 eviction mitigation legislation introduced by state Rep. Maureen Madden, D-Monroe.
The hearing will be held at 2 p.m. Monday, Aug. 10 in Room G-50 Irvis Office Building in the Capitol Complex. The media and public are invited to watch the livestream at www.pahouse.com/live.
Requested by Madden, the hearing will collect input on her bills that would require landlords to create a payment plan option for tenants, prohibit landlords from charging late fees on rent payment, and create a landlord-tenant mediation and counseling program. Testifiers and members will participate in person and remotely.
Testifiers will include:
- Marc Stier, director, PA Budget and Policy Center.
- Michael Tukeva, president and CEO, Pocono Mountains United Way.
- Gale Schwartz, associate director for policy and strategic initiatives, Housing Alliance of PA.
- Andrea Custis, president and CEO, Urban League of Philadelphia.
- Sue Wasserkrug, program administrator, Good Shepard Mediation Program.
- Rasheedah Phillips, managing attorney of housing policy, Community Legal Services Inc.
- Vikram Patel, staff attorney, Community Legal Services Inc.
- Bob Damewood, staff attorney, Regional Housing Legal Services.
- Erin DeRosa, landlord.
Following the hearing, testimonies and full hearing video will be posted at www.pahouse.com/policycommittee.