Happy Veterans Day: Check out various resources and programs available for our Veterans
While my staff and I are very disappointed that we are unable to gather in person for our annual Veterans Day Event, I wanted to take time today to wish all of you a very happy Veterans Day and thank you for your service to our country.
Throughout our history, military service members have put on their uniforms to protect the values and liberties on which this nation was built, but that dedication does not stop once the uniform comes off. Veterans play a vital role throughout their communities across the country.
Today and every day, we celebrate veterans’ immeasurable contributions, draw inspiration from your example, and strive to give you our full support as a grateful nation. Thank you for serving our country and protecting our freedoms.
There are nearly 800,000 veterans across our state, and, today being Veterans Day, I wanted to ensure those living in the 148th Legislative District know of the resources and programs available.
I am posting this district wide and asking that you help us spread the word to your family members and friends who are veterans.
And don’t forget to take advantage of the various discounts available to veterans today and throughout the week!
LOCAL & STATE RESOURCES
- Montgomery County Office of Veterans Affairs
- PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Amputee and Paralyzed Veteran Program: Provides a $150 per month pension to veterans who served honorably, were PA residents on entering the military, suffered a service-connected injury or disease resulting in loss – or lost use of – two or more extremities, and have at least a 40% disability rating in each limb. A similar pension program exists for blind veterans.
- Educational Gratuity Program: Provides financial aid for children of honorably discharged veterans who have service-connected disabilities and served during a period of war or armed conflict, or children of veterans who die or died in service during a period of war or armed conflict.
- Military Family Education Program: Allows Pennsylvania National Guard members who re-enlist for an additional six years of service to earn five years of higher education benefits for their spouse or children. The program provides 10 semesters of tuition-free education for family members at state-approved schools.
- VETConnect: Launched just this week, this initiative is designed to better serve the commonwealth’s nearly 800,000 veterans by identifying and cultivating new community partnerships to simultaneously broaden referral capabilities and connect veterans to the best possible resources, regardless of the township, county or region where they reside.
- Veterans Crisis Line: Free, confidential support is available for veterans who are feeling anxious, depressed or alone. Calling the crisis line 1-800-273-8255 will put you in touch with a caring, qualified responder. The crisis line is available for all veterans, service members, National Guard and reserve, and family and friends.
- Veterans Registry: The DMVA provides an online registry to keep veterans and their families connected to state benefits, programs and services. It also allows veterans and family members to opt in to receive news, updates and the department’s weekly DMVA Digest.
- Veterans Temporary Assistance: This program can provide veterans or their beneficiaries temporary financial assistance for such life necessities as food, clothing and shelter. Applicants who meet eligibility requirements can receive up to $1,600 over a 12-month period.
- Veterans Resource Online Directory: The DMVA has a comprehensive listing of resources – from business and finance to veterans’ health and vital records – all in one place.
- Wednesday, Nov. 11, 10-10:30 a.m.: Montgomery County Community College’s Virtual Veterans Day Celebration hosted by Veterans Resource Center.
- Wednesday, Nov. 11, 10-10:30 a.m.: Virtual Veterans Day Ceremony presented by National Veterans Memorial and Museum.
- Wednesday, Nov. 11, 12:15 p.m.: Philly’s Veterans Parade with multiple ways to participate, including Facebook Live and via 6abc Action News.
- Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2-5 p.m.: Special celebration honoring women veterans via the Philadelphia Commission for Women.
- Underway through Saturday, Nov. 14, 11 p.m.: Veterans Virtual Film Festival, including Director’s Panel from 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 12.
- Tuesday, Nov. 24, noon-4 p.m.: National Virtual Career Fair For Veterans for U.S. military job seekers and spouses.
Thank you for reading, and please stay safe!
Mary Jo Daley