House Democratic Policy Committee to hold hearing on Building Inclusive Disability Curriculum Thursday in Capitol
HARRISBURG, July 21 – State Rep. Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster, announced today that the House Democratic Policy Committee will hold a public hearing on Building Inclusive Disability Curriculum as part of Disability Pride Philadelphia’s Virtual PA 2020.
The hearing will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday, July 23, in Room G-50 Irvis Office Building in Harrisburg. The media and public are urged to watch the livestream at www.pahouse.com/live.
The hearing was requested by State Rep. Joe Hohenstein, D-Phila., to explore how educational curriculums can be more inclusive of the disability community. Testifiers and members will participate in person and remotely.
Testifiers will include:
- Jamie Ray-Leonetti, Associate Director of Policy, Temple Institute on Disabilities
- Alan Holdsworth, Director, Disability Equality in Education
- Dr. Thomas Neuville, Professor and Disability Studies Advisor, Millersville University
- ShaVon Savage, Elementary School Principal, School District of Philadelphia
- Lisa Aquila, Home Care Worker and Disability Advocate
- Nadine Silber, Autistic Activist and Disability Educator
- Nancy Ostroff, Disability Advocate
- Shawn Aleong, Student, Temple University
Following the hearing, testimonies and full hearing video will be posted at www.pahouse.com/policycommittee.