Otten to hold policy hearing on youth mental health Friday in Exton
EXTON, Oct. 15 – State Rep. Danielle Friel Otten, D-Chester, will hold a House Democratic Policy Committee hearing on youth mental health.
The hearing will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, Oct. 18 at the Lionville YMCA, 100 Devon Drive. The media and public are invited to attend.
Otten requested the hearing to discuss factors contributing to the growing youth mental health crisis, along with efforts and proposed solutions to end the stigma associated with mental health and improve access to care and outcomes for children and youth. Otten will be joined by state legislators from across the state, including Policy Committee Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster.
Panelists will include:
- Dr. Jane Thompson, psychotherapist, Chester Springs Clinical Associates LLC
- Anna Wojcik, student, Downingtown East High School
- Sara Stein, student, Downingtown East High School
- Mary Kwiatkowski, parent, Owen J. Roberts School District
- Bradley J. Dyer, pediatrician and founder, All Star Pediatrics
- Perk Musacchio, author, retired teacher and educational consultant
- Monica Reinhard-Gorney, author/educational counselor
- Cindy Kruse, Educational and Workforce consultant
- Dr. Pamela Brown, Southeastern Region president, PSEA
- Dr. Bridgette Miles, principal, Coatesville Area School District
- Cynthia Black, president, board of directors, Communities That Care of Greater Downingtown
- Candy Craig, mental health deputy administrator from Chester County Department of Mental Health/Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Dr. Jason A. Lewis, associate director, Outpatient Program, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, CHOP
This hearing is among a series being held across the state on House Democrats’ Plan4PA, focused on putting people first by growing good jobs, providing healthcare access, creating quality schools and providing training for jobs in a fair economy. More information about the plan is available at www.plan4pa.com. Hearing materials are at www.pahouse.com/policycommittee.